Kansas Is Showing Her Unpredictability

It is fall. But you would think it has already turned over to winter. The weather has been up and down with, a few dips to the freezing mark, but not staying there. I have been liking the cooler weather as long as it stays within a comfortable range. It has been cold enough for us to finally turn on the furnace. Thankfully we had it checked out recently and it is all ready to go. I have been having a hard time adjusting to the colder weather this year. I don’t know why. Maybe because I will be 59 soon. 🙂 This past Monday it was in the 70s all day. It started out cool enough to put on a sweatshirt. I wore it around the house all day because it has been cool in the house. I went outside to check on the horse and cow tanks and fill them. Since the time change, it gets dark pretty quickly after Hubby gets home from work, so I try and get as much of the chores done as possible that he does when it is lighter. He usually has enough daylight to got out and check on the cows and get a head count.

While I was out there filling the tanks, I was almost too warm in my sweatshirt. This was around 3:30pm. Hubby gets home around 5:15 give or take a few minutes. After I came in, took a shower and started supper, it finally dawned on me that the wind had shifted from the south to the north/northwest. And was picking up. I knew that a cold front was moving through. What I didn’t know was that it was getting here fast. Really fast. Seventy around 3:30, thirty degrees by 5pm! By the time Hubby got home it was still dropping. I had briefly thought about getting out the tank defroster and cords while I was out filling the tanks, but thought I had time to do it first thing in the morning. But no! It was too late to get them into the tanks as it was pretty dark by that time. Hubby and Son got a bale put into the horse pen quickly, and Hubby did a quick count on the cows and came in.

On top of all this, we had been hoping that Son’s car was going to be fixed today, but they had found another problem with it after they got the head gasket back. There was a crack in the cylinder head. I am at a total loss as to what that is. Feel free to enlighten me if you know what that is. I am assuming that it is something in the motor. The part will not be in until Thursday. Hopefully. The car may be done on Friday. I am having to run Son  to work again this week. Joy, Joy.

On Tuesday morning, Son had to be at work at 7am and Hubby had to put in the heater in the horse tank by himself. I can do it by myself but it is kind of awkward. The reason being is that we have the cord running through a pvc pipe for several feet to keep it from the elements and it runs from our Morton building to the pen where the tank is. It is probably about 8-10 feet. We decided to leave it in the pipe and just move it into the building int he spring when we are done with it. Works out pretty good and keeps the outdoor cord good for several years. Hubby said there was a thin layer of ice on the water. So it wasn’t too bad. Tuesday evening after Son and I got home, he helped Hubby set up the cow’s water tank with a heater.

Wednesday I went out in the afternoon to check on the cows and get a head count so Hubby wouldn’t have to when he got home. We have two or three heifers that we can pet and scratch on. One of them especially like me to scratch her head. While I was checking on them, I pulled up next to her, spoke to her and got off the ATV to walk over to her. She looked at me a little uncertainly and as I reached over to scratch her, she spun away, did a side kick and marked my upper thigh. I was a little shocked for a second then yelled at her and took a slap at her. Maybe she didn’t recognize me.

November 13, 2014 Baby it's COLD outside! (2)   November 13, 2014 Baby it's COLD outside! (1)

I must look like the latest cow mugger. 😀

This little tidbit is to Debra at C-Dog & Company, as well as all my readers. I used a raccoon touch learned from my riding instructor who teaches Centered Riding, and follows Linda Tellington-Jones. Here is her web site if anyone is interested in her training and the T-Touch method. http://www.lindatellingtonjones.com/ Anyway I used the touch I used was very helpful in keeping my hoof print from bruising. It was sore for about two days, but I kept rubbing it now and then and it helped a lot. I am not paid to advertise for Linda Tellington-Jones, but I do believe in spreading the word about things I have tried and have been successful in using.

Thursday the car place called Son and said the part was late coming in. The car may not be ready on Friday after all. Maybe Saturday. No one called Saturday. UGH!!!. At least Son doesn’t have to work on Monday, and I am praying so hard that the car will be done.

On Friday, I did stay in town and had lunch with my mother and we decided to drive over to Lawrence, Kansas to a shop called The Yarn Barn. They specialize in weaving and spinning. They have a lot of variety of yarns too. I found another heddle for my Cricket Loom and some thread that they recommended for weaving some dish rags and towels. That will be my next project to try to weave since I am finished with my scarf. That will be another post.

Until then:

Stay Safe and God Bless!


8 responses to “Kansas Is Showing Her Unpredictability

  1. It is cold. Very cold. It hasn’t been out of the thirties. Today it isn’t going to get out of the teens even I don’t think. The wind chills are about nine degrees or so. I am not ready for winter. And it isn’t even here yet!


  2. Hubby and I like to say it is Winter Cooling. 🙂 It is usually in the 50s here this time of year. I would be happy with 30s and no wind. The wind is calm this morning.


Your input is always welcome. Thank you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s