Putting Out Hay

Yesterday was a very cold and windy day. The wind was mostly out of the SW and making a wind chill of I don’t know what. It was supposed to get up to about 30, but it felt colder. But farm life must go on. The cows needed a couple of bales and the horses and donkey needed one. Every year we try and rearrange the hot wire to go around a stand of cedar trees that make the best wind break you could ask for. It pretty much blocks the wind from any direction. I even get warm when I am down there. I felt sorry for the horses and Jenny when I got up, so I let them out with the cows. At least until evening. The only bad thing about doing this, is that Hubby puts out a mineral tub for the cows, and horses are not supposed to eat it. Supposedly it can make them sick or kill them if they eat too much. Some people put out the tubs even though horses can get to it too but never have it affect them. It hasn’t hurt my horses any, and I watched them carefully. But I have two that are founder problems, and I don’t know how the mineral would affect that. And miss piggy Diamond, and Mr piggy Wrangler stopped immediately at the tub. All the others headed for the trees. Wrangler is not one that has a problem with his feet, but he gets really fat. I went back out and put a small pallet on top of the tub and a rock to keep it in place. The horses moved off, but by the time we were done with the hay and getting the horses back in, the pallet and rock was shoved to the side. Whether it was a cow or horse knocked it off, I don’t know. I even tried to turn one tub over once, (the mineral is a solid block so it won’t spill) and I hadn’t gotten two feet away and looked back and Diamond and Wrangler had it turned back up right! Smart Alecs! (sp?)

So since Hubby got off early, we had to take out two bales for the cows. There are 12 pregnant cows and one steer. The nine calves are up around the new shed by the horse pen. They will probably need a bale in a few days. It was cold enough that I put on a face mask since I was riding out on the ATV while Hubby took the tractor out. There is also a hill that kind of helps block the SW wind where the bales are at. So the bales can be mostly south of the trees. The horses do have a shed in the pen and a wind break, but when the wind is from the south or southwest it doesn’t do them much good. I had to bring them in for the night, but the wind was going to shift back to the north, so they would be out of the wind then.

We got one bale out for the cows, but the hydraulics on the tractor must have been low on oil because it barely picked up the bale.

IMAG0380 IMAG0381 IMAG0383 IMAG0384

Hubby had to go back to the Morton building to put in oil for the next bale. While he was gone the horses and Jenny promptly moved in on the cow’s bale and the poor cows could only stand and watch.

IMAG0385 IMAG0386 IMAG0387

While I waited on Hubby, I decided to start the horses back toward the pen. I had just got them started on their way when Hubby was already heading back. I went ahead and gave them one last whoop to keep them going and turned to get the gate to the bale yard. It was then that I remembered the gate up by the building was still open. We will leave it open when all the cows are up by the bales. It is about an 1/8 to a 1/4 mile from the gate to the bales. I waited long enough to make sure the horses moved to the left and into the gate they were supposed to. We have a lot of gates. They are smart and knew their job. They moved as one to the left and into the pen at a trot. Whew! I didn’t feel like rounding up horses off the road. Sometimes they are good beasties and just stay in the yard. And a bucket of grain will get them to follow into the pen. Most times.

So the second bale is put into it’s bale ring and off we go to get the horses bale. First I make sure the gate to the bale yard is closed. I shut the horses into the pen and shut the main gate to our yard, put away the ATV and go around to get the gate for the bale to go through. And what do I find? Something, a cow or cows I suspect, has helped our bale ring to fall apart. At least one panel.


In all honesty it wouldn’t have taken too much to help it along. Two bolts were gone or going and we knew it but hadn’t gotten around to fixing it. We put the bale inside of the ring and put up the panel and fixed it until we got some new bolts to fit. And this is how you do it.

IMAG0389 IMAG0390 IMAG0392

Baling twine does work miracles at times. Wire would have been better, but is hard to work with when your hands are cold. And it has sharp ends and has to be doubled back on itself so nobody gets cut or poked in the eye.

By the time all this was done, the wind had died down some and I had to take off the mask. I was getting too warm. So I decided to take some selfies with a couple of my horses before filling the water tanks. This is my gelding Wrangler.

IMAG0395 IMAG0396

My mustang, Lily. She wasn’t as keen on a selfie.


And this is Diamond. She just wanted to sniff the camera. She is my riding mare.


And Jenny wanted nothing to do with it at all! 🙂


If anyone is interested in what founder is, here is a wikipedia link.  wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminitis#Founder  It is pretty lengthy, and you may have to skim through it, but some may find it and interesting subject. Especially if you are thinking about getting a horse. It doesn’t always happen. It is just something you would want to be aware of if it does. If the link doesn’t work, you can search for founder or laminitis.

Stay warm everybody. And…

Stay Safe and God Bless!


4 responses to “Putting Out Hay

  1. Pingback: Animals Can Be Costly! | chrllrobb·

Your input is always welcome. Thank you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s