I thought my mustang, Lily was doing better after her last visit to the vet about her feet. But as this last month has been pretty nasty weather, she has been struggling to walk again. It is painful to watch. I had been giving her some bute to help with the pain, but in the last couple days she has decided that there is something in the grain that she doesn’t like. My farrier suggested that I have my vet check her for Cushings Disease. I have been doing some checking on Cushings. It can affect humans, dogs and horses. In horses it is different symptoms than in humans and dogs. Here is a link to cushings-disease.com. This link not only has an article on horses, but an interesting and informative article about dogs.
Here is another interesting article about Cushing’s disease. horsechannel.com. When you get to the site, you will have to put Cushing’s Disease in their search bar. I am a little worried about Lily having Cushings. There is no cure and it is a lifetime treatment. I have read that it can be expensive. My vet also told me it can be, but he is hoping that there is some generic drugs now that might not be as expensive. My worry is that I will not be able to afford the treatment. I am a big pessimist and a bit of a worry wart. It seems to be an inherited trait in my family. 🙂 But I figure if I am worried more about what could go wrong, then when it turns out to be better than expected, I am happier and more pleased with the results.
My options if I cannot afford to treat Lily is, 1-try and find a legitimate horse rescue that may be able to take her in and take care of her. Or 2-euthanise her. That thought makes me cry every time I think about it. I WILL NOT send her to sale. If I do she will go to a kill buyer. Part of this thinking is, my farrier thinks I should have Diamond checked for Cushing’s too. I definitely cannot afford to treat two horses. Then I would have to chose Diamond over Lily. I have raised her from a foal. She is out of my mare Two Socks. She was born here and has been here all her life. She is my riding mare. She does have founder problems too, but she is doing better than poor Lily. I have a very big interest in learning to drive a horse cart, and Lily is the one I wanted to see if she would be a good candidate for breaking to harness and learning to drive. And our granddaughter asked me if Lily could be her horse. She would be devastated if I had to put her down.
I took Lily to the vet on Wednesday morning and had to leave her. The test is a two day test. I was kind of worried about her because she has never been stalled before, and she had to be inside a building in a stall. It was a very nice and big stall with lots of mats. The test supplies were supposed to be in that morning, but didn’t show up. The staff reordered and it was supposed to be there this morning, but again it was not on the FedEx truck. They called me and said Lily is doing well. Not moving around much because her front feet are hurting her. Especially the frog on the right front foot. They also said that the test supplies should hopefully be there by noon today. I may run up and check on her tomorrow. I need to get some supplies from Walmart anyway.
This is Lily back on about September or October 2014. If you click on the picture, you might be able to see the freeze brand on her neck that the BLM always puts on the wild horses and burros. Each symbol means something about where they were captured and I think age. Sorry the hair is too grown over.
Here is a couple more links to Cushing’s in horses:
And one for Dogs: again you will have to put in Cushing’s disease.
Stay Safe and God Bless!