As some of you will remember I had my mustang Lily tested for Cushing’s Disease back on March 4. I had to leave her until about March 7. The test was supposed to take about 5-9 days before I would hear something. I waited about 10-14 days and called the vets office and still no word. Finally on about April 2 or 3rd, (I can’t remember which) the vet’s office finally called and said the lab couldn’t find the test. It got lost or misplaced somewhere between the vets and the lab. So I had to take Lily back to the vet on April 7. The took another round of blood tests and sent them off. Fortunately I only have to pay for one test. No one seems to know what happened to the first one.
FINALLY yesterday on May 4, my vet himself called and told me they heard from the lab. Lily does not have Cushing’s Disease. Whew! I am glad to know for sure. I kind of thought that she probably didn’t since she shed off her hair very nicely when it warmed up enough. And since her feet have been trimmed she has been doing much better.
My farrier had also put on a shoe and pads which helped with her walking better. My farrier came back to take the shoe off when he came to trim all the horses on April 23. Lily gave him as much trouble to get the shoe off as she did trying to put the shoe on. Weirdly enough, Lily let him trim all the other three feet without much fuss. Well a little fuss but not near as much as she did trying to get the shoe off. The farrier said that he would come back another day and wanted me to see if I could sedate her to get the shoe off. He had another job to get to. Hubby and I worked on getting the shoe off Tuesday April 28 in the evening. I thought she was walking oddly a little so I checked and the shoe was a little looser than it had been. I don’t have any regular farrier tools, so I just used my hoof pick made from a horseshoe and Hubby had a tool that was close to shoe puller, but looks more like a hoof nipper. My farrier came the next day and trimmed the one hoof with no problems.
My hoof pick is on the right. My brother made me a pair of these from a real horseshoe.
This is a pair of horse nippers. It is used to trim the hoof.
This is a hoof puller.
Right now I just have to keep an eye on Lily. I need to keep her and Diamond off the grass and only have access to hay. When it gets warmer, I can turn the other two horses and maybe the donkey out on the grass. That will save on hay for the summer. I am hoping for a very good crop of hay this year. Last year was good, but, with the cows and the equines, we needed to buy several bales to get us through the rest of the winter and into the spring until our hay ground is ready to bale. The vet does suspect Metabolic Syndrome which mimics Cushing’s. There is no test for it and nothing much to do other than watch her. I am just glad that Lily does not have Cushings. Have a good night all.
Stay Safe and God Bless!